As a business owner, you know that one of the most important aspects of your building is the roofing system. This is because our roofs are able to protect us against inclement weather and keep us comfortable and safe from outside elements. While these are important reasons why roofing is important, it’s also vital to note that commercial roofing ensures that productivity at our businesses stays on track. Because a commercial roof is so important, it’s essential to have the very best roofing material installed. There are many types of commercial roofs on the market, but one of the most popular is foam roofing. A foam roof is a very durable commercial roof that can also be used for insulation. If you want to know more about foam roofing, we have compiled a list of questions that are frequently asked about foam roofs.
What is SPF roofing?
SPF roofing, or spray polyurethane foam roofing, is a roofing system that has no seams. Spray foam roofing and foam roofing are the same roofs, so you can use both names interchangeably. An SPF roof is made from isocyanate and polyol, which creates the foam. The way that you install this type of roof is using a spray gun to coat the roof, vents, pipes, and all of the different components you’ll find on the roof. Some of the biggest questions that people will ask about spray foam roofing are “Is foam roofing green?” and “Can you walk on a foam roof?” The answer to both of these questions is yes.
A spray foam roof is green because the roofing material never has to be replaced. With most commercial roofs, you will need to tear them off and replace them with a new material; this can be very bad for the environment as some commercial roofing systems are not recyclable. However, when commercial property owners choose foam roofing, they don’t have to worry about having to replace their roof at all. Not only that, a foam roof doesn’t have any chlorofluorocarbons or CFCs, has little VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), and it provides your roof with excellent insulation, so you are able to save on heating and cooling costs.
Many times you will hear that you aren’t allowed to walk on a foam roof, but this simply is not true. A foam roof is able to hold about 60 pounds of weight per square inch, so there is no need to worry that you will damage the roof if you have to walk on it. It’s important to note that if something sharp does puncture the spray foam roofing, it will need to be repaired. It is very durable, but that type of damage can really hurt it.
Is Foam Roofing Worth It?
When considering another type of roof for your commercial roof, it’s always important to do your research and figure out the advantages of said roof. Some of the things you will need to know in order to make an educated decision are “How long does spray foam roofing last?” and “How much does it cost foam a roof?”
When a foam roof is properly maintained, it can last up to 50 years or longer. In terms of commercial roofing systems, this is excellent. Typical commercial roofing like built up roofing lasts 10 to 15 years and a metal roof can last up to 40. However, the metal material that is used for a commercial roof is going to depend on how long it lasts, as well as the climate that you live in. While foam roofs last an incredibly long time, they should be re-coated and cleaned every 5 to 10 years. In regards to cost, commercial property owners can expect to pay between $2 to $6 per square foot for the material. Because of how fast the installation process is, the cost of installation is relatively low.
The cost and life expectancy of a roof are extremely important when considering a roof, but it’s also important to know about its other beneficial traits. Below are of the benefits of foam roofing
- They Are Seamless: When a roofing material is seamless, it means it is better at reducing roof leaks.
- SPF Roofing is Versatile: This is important as it can be installed onto any type of roof from flat, low-sloped, and pitched roofing. It even works on old and new roofs.
- They Are Very Flexible: Usually when a roof expands and contracts, it can affect the building; because a foam roof is flexible, it can endure expanding and contracting without ruining the roof or structure of the building.
- Installation is Easy: While some roof installations can take a long time and can be incredibly noisy, a spray foam roof is very fast and because it is sprayed, there is not hammering or drilling anything in the roof.
- It Has a Great R-Value: The R-value is the value of the insulation material. Foam roofs have the highest R-value around.
- Don’t Have to Tear it Off: When a roofing system has reached its lifespan, they are usually torn off and replaced; with spray foam, you don’t have to tear it off at all and just reapply a coating.
- It’s Eco-Friendly: Because you don’t have to tear the roof off and because it is the highest R-value, it is considered a very eco-friendly roofing system.
How To Fix Foam Roofing
While a foam roof is incredibly sturdy, it is important that it gets recoated every 5 to 10 years. If you don’t have a spray foam roof recoated, you can have issues like blisters on the foam, separation from the foam and the roof, holes, water seepage, uplifting, ponding water, and more. The way that your roofing contractor can take care of these issues is by cutting and removing damaged areas, patch areas that are damaged, and re-foam. Whether you need commercial AC repair or spray foam roofing repair, it’s important to always call a professional. If you need spray foam roofing in Sparks, NV, call the expert roofers at Alpine Roofing Co. to help you! You can reach us by calling our office at 775.358.7663.